This post may contain affiliate links where we earn from qualifying purchases. As an amazon associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Find out more in our disclosure.
We are all about finding ways to make skiing easier and more practical for families. Once of the best ways that you can do that is by simplifying the gear that you use! We all know that kids grow like weeds, so getting adjustable ski boots is a fantastic option.
We got our first pair of adjustable kids ski boots when our oldest son was 5-years-old. He’s now 16, and those ski boots have been worn by all 5 of our kids, and are still in great shape. That’s 11 years of use out of one pair of kids ski boot!! I honestly, cannot say enough good things about them. If you’re intrigued by the idea of adjustable kids ski boots, keep reading for more details about why we love them and who adjustable ski boots are best for!
What are adjustable ski boots?
Roces makes a ski boot, IDEA, that is adjustable between 4 different sizes. They come in sizes 9-12, 13-3, and 4-7. Before getting these adjustable ski boots, we had several seasons where our kids went through a growth spurt and we needed to buy a new pair mid-season. Now, all we have to do is quickly adjust their boot size and they’re all set. Bindings don’t need to be adjusted at all, so that makes it even simpler. The boot sole length doesn’t ever change.
Our favorite part about having adjustable ski boots for kids? They are incredibly affordable, and you can usually find them for around $120. If you’re new to buying ski gear, this is an incredible deal, since it’s pretty easy to spend $200 on a pair of kids ski boots! No, it’s not too good to be true! Imagine, an awesome pair of ski boots that can get for an average of $25 per size. Shoot, I can’t even buy a pair of sneakers for my kids at that price.
Pros of Adjustable Ski Boots
- Longevity: The most significant advantage is their ability to adjust in size. Kids grow fast, and traditional ski boots can quickly become too small. With adjustable boots, you can extend their lifespan over several seasons.
- Cost-Effective: Investing in adjustable boots can save money in the long run. Instead of buying new boots every year, you adjust the size of the existing pair.
- Comfort and Safety: These boots can be adjusted not just for length, but also width, ensuring a comfortable and safe fit. A well-fitting boot is crucial for proper ski technique and injury prevention.
- Ease of Use: Many models are designed with simplicity in mind, making it easy for parents to adjust the size without needing special tools or skills.
Cons of Adjustable Ski Boots
- Initial Cost: While they save money over time, the upfront cost can be higher than standard kids’ ski boots.
- Weight and Bulk: Some adjustable models may be heavier or bulkier than their non-adjustable counterparts, which might be a consideration for smaller children.
- Limited Size Range: They can only adjust within a certain range. Once your child outgrows this range, you’ll need to purchase new boots.
- Performance Limitations: For more advanced young skiers, the performance of adjustable boots might not match up to high-end, fixed-size boots.
Who Are Adjustable Ski Boots Best For?
Adjustable ski boots are ideal for:
- Growing Kids: They are a no-brainer for children who are growing quickly.
- Families on a Budget: If you’re looking to make skiing a regular family activity without breaking the bank, these boots are a great option.
- Casual Skiers: For kids who ski a few times a season, the adjustable boot offers a great balance of comfort and performance.
Best features of Roces adjustable ski boots for kids
Now, don’t let the low price fool you. These boots are really fantastic quality and keep performing well for us year after year. Here are some things that we like about Roces ski boots:
– Micro-adjust bindings
– Adjust in 3 places – length, boot cuff height, and liner
– Colors that our kids love (because let’s face it, kids want to look cool)
– 4 sizes in 1
– Great price
– You only need to adjust them when your kid’s feet grow (and it only takes a few minutes).
Like I said, we’ve been using these kids ski boots for 11 ski seasons now and they are still going strong. We’ve used them with all 5 of our kids and have confidence that they will last through our youngest, and then bass them down to their younger cousins.
They’ve been thrown into the car, dropped on the pavement, and tossed down the basement stairs more times than I’d like to admit. The important thing is that even though my kids have been rough on them (not intentionally, but I’ve got 4 boys here), they are still in great shape!
Check prices on Roces Adjustable Ski Boots
How to adjust kids ski boots
I wish that I could explain just how simple it is to adjust these ski boots. It’s CRAZY EASY! Check out this video to see exactly how it’s done. The video is old but does a great job of describing the ski boot adjustment.
Who do adjustable ski boots work well for?
Adjustable ski boots work great for beginner and intermediate skiers. They are a bit more flexible, so they are a great option for kids who are learning how to ski. If you have a child who’s a more advanced skier, these aren’t the best ski boots for them.
For kids who are more advanced skiers, I recommend buying a one-size ski boot like these that are bit stiffer and more solid. Having a more stiff ski boot allows kids to ski in a more aggressive stance, which will help them to conquer difficult terrain more easily.
Why should you get your kids adjustable ski boots?
- They’re a great option for kids who are growing quickly. Instead of buying new boots all the time, you just adjust the sizing.
- They save space. Instead of needing to store 4 pairs of ski boots for your kids, just hang onto one.
- Saving money. Not only are these boots an amazing deal to begin with, but when you consider how long they can last, it’s pretty much a no brainer to get these for your kids.
- They’re really high quality. We’ve put them to the test over and over and they’re still performing well!
Like I mentioned earlier, these are the boots that we recommend over and over to families who want to get into skiing with their kids! We absolutely love these boots. They have exceeded our expectations and are a great product for families with fast growing kids. Aside from our edgie wedgie, these are the coolest piece of ski gear we own.
Adjustable Ski Boot Costs
One of the things that we love the most about adjustable ski boots is the cost. With one pair of adjustable ski boots, you’re getting 4 sizes of kids boots in one. When an old, used pair of ski boots will cost you $35, spending $120 on one brand new pair is a no brainer. We love that these are some of the most affordable kids ski boots, making skiing more accessible to families on a budget.