This post may contain affiliate links where we earn from qualifying purchases. Find out more in our disclosure.
We have been completely and utterly blown away by the beauty breadth and boldness of Switzerland. If any place in Europe can provide the ultimate European Mountain Experience, the Swiss Alps are the place and if any place in the Alps is the best for families, the Jungfrau Region is it.
What makes it so awesome? Pretty much everything.
No, but seriously, this place offers a TON! Nestled right at the foot of 3 epic mountains the Eiger, Monk and Jungfrau, this is one of those rare places that literally takes your breath away. (Make sure you also read our posts on Hiking with Kids in Murren and Adventures for Every Age in Switzerland.)
Tucked between several towns and cities (Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, and Grindelwald are the main ones), accessibility is top-notch. Pair that with the regions unbeatable rail system and you have the perfect combination for great adventure accessibility With major airports just a couple hours away in several directions (that are also connected to the region by rail), there’s really no good reason NOT to come here.
Actually, if you love the outdoors at all, you should literally be doing everything possible to get here as fast as you possibly can. Seriously, RUN!
Here are six reasons you’ll get the ultimate Swiss mountain experience HERE!
1. The mountains are amazingly HUGE. The highest of the 3 peaks, The Monk is well over 13,000 ft making it 11,000 feet higher than the valley in Interlaken. Even coming from the Rockies, I’ve never seen mountains as amazing and high as these.
2. Adventure is all around you. When you consider that practically every adventure sport is available here, it’s no wonder this place is a hit. In no time, you can find paragliding, rock climbing, mountaineering, base jumping, canyoneering, rafting, kayaking, hiking, skiing…are you getting the picture? If it’s awesome and adventurous, there’s a pretty good chance you can find it here.
3. It’s amazingly accessible for kids. This one is a major deal to us since we recently traveled here with our 4 kids (ages 7,4,2, and 4-months). The railway and tram system makes it so that everything is incredibly accessible and hiking is a cinch since the trails combined with the railways make it possible to do mostly downhill hikes.
4. It’s SO GREEN! I actually feel like Crayola should create a whole new color in their crayons just for places that are as green as Switzerland. With lots of rain and snow, coupled with countless waterfalls, the pastures, meadows, trees and flowers are gorgeous. Pair that with the huge mountains and you’ve got amazing views wherever you look.
5. Waterfalls GALORE! The Lauterbrunnen valley has 72 different waterfalls ranging from a trickle to a raging torrent. While you will be surrounded by them, we are big fans of Trummelbach falle where the falls go through a little narrows canyon tucked back into the rock and the stunning Schmadribach falle at the end of the valley.
6. The trains ROCK. Honestly, if you want amazing accessability to these majestic mountains, the train is where it’s at. Instead of hoofing it all day for one scenic vista, us the trains, and go all aver the place. Tickets can get a little pricey, but we think it’s worth it (especially with kids)!
It’s not a cheap vacation by any means, but it’s one of the rare places we’ve already been to a few times and can’t wait to go back for more. DON’T MISS IT!